Sunday, November 1, 2009

Time Writing Exercise Reflection

At the beginning of the timed writing, I have struggled in putting what I know into words. This makes me wonder why am I being so restrictive on giving the correct/precise mathematical meaning. I shouldn't be scared in writing what I know. Math should allow for mistakes so that everyone can actually enjoy it and have fun with it.

This is a good activity for students to not be afraid of what they know about mathematics and to put it down into words (Personally when I have put my thoughts into words, I was able to understand the topic more). It allows students to be expressive which would provide a more dynamic classroom making the topic more fun to learn. Students themselves might also have a better mathematical understanding as they have the opportunity learning the concepts and be creative with them. This would be a good warm/wrap up activity where students can review and make connection of the concepts taught.

However, there are definitely some limits with this activity. Students of different learning needs might not be able to participate in this activity (ESL background, learning disability, etc). Also, students might not be able to see that big picture of how this exercise is related to their mathematical learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment